VALID UNTIL

From: Euler Taveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
To: Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: VALID UNTIL
Date: 2012-03-14 14:20:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I have a hard time figuring out why my replication stopped with a message like

FATAL: password authentication failed for user "foo"

in the logs. I thought it was some pg_hba.conf change, a pgpass modification,
or NOLOGIN option, it wasn't. I was out of options when I remembered to check
if there is a VALID OPTION option set. For my surprise, it wasn't exposed by
\du or even \du+.

euler=# \du
List of roles
-[ RECORD 1 ]----------------------------------------------
Role name | euler
Attributes | Superuser, Create role, Create DB, Replication
Member of | {}
-[ RECORD 2 ]----------------------------------------------
Role name | foo
Attributes |
Member of | {}

euler=# \du+
List of roles
-[ RECORD 1 ]-----------------------------------------------
Role name | euler
Attributes | Superuser, Create role, Create DB, Replication
Member of | {}
Description |
-[ RECORD 2 ]-----------------------------------------------
Role name | foo
Attributes |
Member of | {}
Description |

but after checking in the catalog I got it.

test=# select rolname,rolvaliduntil from pg_authid;
rolname | rolvaliduntil
euler |
foo | 2012-03-01 00:00:00-03
(2 rows)

Is there any reason why it is not exposed? What about exposing that
information in attributes or even in a separate column? It could help
troubleshooting quickly on this case.

--
Euler Taveira de Oliveira - Timbira http://www.timbira.com.br/