Re: elegant and effective way for running jobs inside a database

From: Artur Litwinowicz <admin(at)ybka(dot)com>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: elegant and effective way for running jobs inside a database
Date: 2012-03-10 14:20:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

W dniu 2012-03-09 16:55, Merlin Moncure pisze:
> On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 9:36 AM, Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>
> wrote:
>> 2012/3/6 Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>:
>>> It seems to me that the only thing that needs core support is
>>> the ability to start up the daemon when postmaster is ready to
>>> accept queries, and shut the daemon down when postmaster kills
>>> backends (either because one crashed, or because it's shutting
>>> down).
>>>
>> So, although my motivation is not something like Cron in core, it
>> seems to me Alvaro's idea is quite desirable and reasonable, to
>> be discussed in v9.3.
>
> 100% agree (having re-read the thread and Alvaro's idea having
> sunk in). Being able to set up daemon processes side by side with
> the postmaster would fit the bill nicely. It's pretty interesting
> to think of all the places you could go with it.
>
> merlin

Good to hear that (I hope that even though English is not my native
language I understand properly posts in this thread). I am convinced,
that all of You will be pround of the new solution like a "heart bit"
for PostgreSQL. May be it is too poetic but considering cron or
pgAgent instead real job manager is like considering defibrillator
instead a real heart. Currently, especially in web applications, the
idea is not where to store a data but how a data can flow and how *fast*.

"It's pretty interesting to think of all the places you could go with
it." - in fact it is :)

Best regards,
Artur