Re: Defining local IP address when opening connections to database

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Defining local IP address when opening connections to database
Date: 2012-03-07 19:55:21
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On 03/07/12 9:04 AM, Michael Bauland wrote:
> yes, I was referring to the latter. I have a client machine which as
> several network adapters, but I would like to always have the connection
> to the database using exactly one of the IPs available to my client. I
> couldn't find a way to specify this IP.
>
> Yes, the routing table might be one solution. But in my case we're
> actually having two services running on the client, and both connect to
> the same database. And both services should use a different IP. In which
> case the routing table won't help. There doesn't seem to be a way of
> doing this with JDBC, is there? Since on
> http://jdbc.postgresql.org/documentation/head/connect.html
> there are a few connection parameters, but none that lets me set my
> local IP for the connection.

what is the point of multiple network adapters connecting to the same
network other than MPIO style ethernet link bonding (whereupon the
physical adapters would appear as a single logical ethernet endpoint)

IP networks route by destination address. if there's multiple paths to
the same destination that are all the same 'length', the decision as to
which path to use is completely arbitrary. putting different firewall
rules on different interfaces that are all on the same subnet will just
cause some VERY hard to debug problems.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast