Re: 16-bit page checksums for 9.2

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 16-bit page checksums for 9.2
Date: 2012-03-01 18:40:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> So a relation can't have some pages in Version 9.2, and other pages in
>> version 9.3? How will this work for 2TB tables?
>
> Not very well, but better than Tom's proposal to require upgrading the
> entire cluster in a single off-line operation.

Yes, but the result will be that anyone with a 2TB table will *never*
convert it to the new format. Which means we can never deprecate that
format, because lots of people will still be using it.

I continue to assert that all of this sounds like 9.3 work to me. I'm
really not keen on pushing through a hack which will make pushing in a
long-term solution harder.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.