proposal: copybytea command for psql

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: proposal: copybytea command for psql
Date: 2012-02-16 20:06:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

A while ago I went looking for nice ways to export an unencoded bytea
value using psql, see
<http://people.planetpostgresql.org/andrew/index.php?/archives/196-Clever-trick-challenge.html>.
Regina Obe is also in want of a solution for this:
<http://www.postgresonline.com/journal/archives/243-PSQL-needs-a-better-way-of-outputting-bytea-to-binary-files.html>.

It seems like what we need is a psql command for it, something like:

\copybytea (select query_returning_one_bytea) to /path/to/file

Does anyone have a better solution or any objection to this feature?

cheers

andrew