Re: random_page_cost = 2.0 on Heroku Postgres

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Peter van Hardenberg <pvh(at)pvh(dot)ca>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: random_page_cost = 2.0 on Heroku Postgres
Date: 2012-02-10 19:32:50
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 2/9/12 2:41 PM, Peter van Hardenberg wrote:
> Hmm, perhaps we could usefully aggregate auto_explain output.

The other option is to take a statistical approach. After all, what you
want to do is optimize average response times across all your user's
databases, not optimize for a few specific queries.

So one thought would be to add in pg_stat_statements to your platform
... something I'd like to see Heroku do anyway. Then you can sample
this across dozens (or hundreds) of user databases, each with RPC set to
a slightly different level, and aggregate it into a heat map.

That's the way I'd do it, anyway.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.