Re: Planet posting policy

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Planet posting policy
Date: 2012-02-01 18:07:40
Lists: pgsql-www

On 02/01/2012 08:43 AM, Dave Page wrote:

>> The only technical solution I see to that that seems reasonably easy
>> to build would be to have those who want to post these more commercial
>> posts on their blog register for a special "permission" to do that,
>> and that those posts ends up being moderated in the same way we
>> moderate news today. That might work reasonably well, but it's
>> certainly a more complex process...
>
> Yeah. But that's also drifting off-topic slightly - the question in
> debate here is "do we want to relax the rules", which a number of
> people have been in favour of, and only one against if I'm counting
> correctly, and if so, how do we do so without going too far in the
> other direction? We only really need a moderation system if people
> don't follow the guidelines.

A poll will be mostly useless. It is going to only get responses from
those who:

A. Care about polls
B. Read the poll section
C. Are directly .Org people (versus remotely)

The question to me really boils down to, do we want to relax the rules
in an order to increase readership and the value (intellectual) of the
content.

As long as the rules are as they are, we are limiting the advocacy power
of Planet. Maybe that is what we want, maybe not but as Dave has said,
most are in favor of relaxing the rules.

JD

@cmdpromptinc - @postgresconf - 509-416-6579