Re: Windows x86-64 One-Click Install (9.1.2-1, 9.0.6-1) hangs on "initialising the database cluster" (with work-around)

From: Eric Borts <eborts(at)bltek(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Dharmendra Goyal <dharmendra(dot)goyal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Windows x86-64 One-Click Install (9.1.2-1, 9.0.6-1) hangs on "initialising the database cluster" (with work-around)
Date: 2012-01-30 07:49:13
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 1/29/2012 3:02 AM, Dave Page wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 2:47 AM, Dharmendra Goyal
> <dharmendra(dot)goyal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>> Nice analysis Eric. ANy idea why (which program set this) this particular
>> registry was set.
>>
>> Dave, shall we consider using "%COMSPEC% /c" with 0 as second parameter..??
> We can certainly try it, though I'm concerned it may break more
> systems than it fixes, eg. those where %COMSPEC% has been
> intentionally changed because the use wants to use a different shell.

I'd have to agree with Dave here. It was clearly a problem with my batch
file association. I don't know *how* I got into this state, but at least
there's a good log now of how to fix the problem for users that have the
same problem!

I suppose you could detect the problem and issue warning by running a
test echo batch file and *not waiting* on the result, then pausing for a
second, and checking to see if the output file was created. Heck or
check the registry to see if there's a UserChoice key on the .bat
extension.

In any case, I'm satisfied that my computer was messed up and it's now
fixed. And I've got my context menu back!

Thanks,
Eric