Re: MS Access easier with PostgreSQL or MySQL?

From: Gavin Flower <GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: gvim <gvimrc(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MS Access easier with PostgreSQL or MySQL?
Date: 2012-01-29 23:16:12
Lists: pgsql-general

On 30/01/12 11:27, gvim wrote:
> I want to use MS Access 2007 as a front end to a more robust/FOSS
> database. Which is more compatible - MySQL or PostgreSQL? Unbiased
> answers please :-).
>
> gvim

Well I have done searches on the Net 3 times since I first came across
PostgresSQL in 2001, and each time it came out faster and more reliable
than MySQL. I have done some DBA work and programming in both MySQL and
PostgreSQL, and I find PostgresSQL much easier to use.

My background in databases started on a mainframe in a COBOL
environment, and I have had experience with Oracle and PRGRESS on a
large UNIX system about 12 years ago..

I am the software architect and chief programmer (currently the only
one) for a JEE system to set up a virtual clinic for training purpose in
Optometry, and I have chosen PostgreSQL as the backend over MySQL (which
is in use on another system where I work).

So I would definitely recommend PostgreSQL!

Cheers,
Gavin