Re: Client Messages

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Jim Mlodgenski <jimmy76(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Client Messages
Date: 2012-01-24 12:38:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 23.01.2012 22:52, Jim Mlodgenski wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 9:19 AM, Jim Mlodgenski<jimmy76(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 3:08 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
>>> I don't think that's a problem, it's just a free-form message to display.
>>> But it also doesn't seem very useful to have it PGC_USERSET: if it's only
>>> displayed at connect time, there's no point in changing it after connecting.
>> Should we make it PGC_BACKEND?

In hindsight, making it PGC_BACKEND makes it much less useful, because
then you can't set it on a per-database basis with "ALTER DATABASE foo
SET ..." So I made it PGC_USERSET again.

> Here is the revised patch based on the feedback.

Thanks! I renamed the GUC to "welcome_message", to avoid confusion with
"client_min_messages". I also moved it to "Connection Settings"
category. Although it's technically settable within a session, the
purpose is to display a message when connecting, so "Connection
Settings" feels more fitting.

There's one little problem remaining with this, which is what to do if
the message is in a different encoding than used by the client? That's
not a new problem, we have the same problem with any string GUC, if you
do "SHOW <setting>". We restricted application_name to ASCII characters,
which is an obvious way to avoid the problem, but I think it would be a
shame to restrict this to ASCII-only.

--
Heikki Linnakangas

Attachment Content-Type Size
welcome_message-v3.patch text/x-diff 544.0 KB