ESET NOD32 Antivirus interference with PostgreSQL

From: Bruce Duncan <bduncan(at)visualmining(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ESET NOD32 Antivirus interference with PostgreSQL
Date: 2012-01-21 00:45:39
Lists: pgsql-general

Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone who might be having a similar
problem. We had an installation on a customer machine that had the AV
product "ESET NOD32" installed. We quickly started having problems when
there were two or more concurrent queries against the same tables in
PostgreSQL v8.2.21 (over multiple connections via JDBC). Specifically
we were getting errors like:

ERROR: could not open relation 1663/27267/27472: Permission denied

We checked the file permissions (which checked out), we used
sysinternals tools to monitor the file system to make sure the file
permsisions werent being changed by the backup software running on the
system (they weren't), and finally uninstalled the "ESET NOD32" AV
software. We have been running without issue now that the AV software
has been uninstalled. The filters they use are apparently not very
happy with the multi-process, highly-concurrent nature of PostgeSQL.

Thought this might be of help to anyone else out there who comes across
this AV software during deployment and starts encountering strange behavior.

bruce