Re: Connecting to postgresql with pdadmin III - sucess !!!

From: Raymond O'Donnell <rod(at)iol(dot)ie>
To: david(dot)gullever(at)web(dot)de
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Connecting to postgresql with pdadmin III - sucess !!!
Date: 2012-01-19 19:42:12
Lists: pgadmin-support

On 19/01/2012 18:58, David M. Gullever wrote:
> Thanks Dave for the reply,
>
> Sorry you must think I'm a 24 Carat Moron but since there is no
> documentation, this is actually becoming interesting - especially since
> thousands of users before me have started-up with pdadmin apparently without
> problems. But my thoughts at the moment are as follows...
> 1. If at the outset I'm simply creating a server (just a name) for my own
> use in which to put databases at a later date, then this server has
> initially no relationship with any databases anywhere. That comes later !!!

Hi David,

A "server" is a specific instance of PostgreSQL running on a computer.
If you have more than one instance of PostgreSQL running on a single
computer, you need to create a single "server" in PgAdmin for each one.

> 2. So why the password problems ??? Again the question - is a password
> mandatory for a "newly created" server. No the password must relate to the
> user (in my case "postgres") and not the server.

Whether or not the password is mandatory depends on whether or not the
specific server (the PostgreSQL instance, not the node in the PgAdmin
tree view) requires it in order to authenticate the connecting user. You
can certainly create a "server" in PgAdmin without a password; but
whether this will actually connect successfully depends on pg_hba.conf
on the server (PostgreSQL instance).

> 3. But I am then asked for a HOST. So this "server" can only relate to a
> specific machine and a specific user but NOT a specific postmaster (various
> versions i.e. various postmasters can run on a single machine at any time so
> indicating the HOST is NOT unique ???). AND NONE OF THIS IS IN THE
> DOCUMENTATION !!!

The "server" in the PgAdmin tree view relates to a a specific
postmaster, listening on a specific port and/or Unix socket, on a
specific machine.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland