Re: Connecting to postgresql with pdadmin III

From: Raymond O'Donnell <rod(at)iol(dot)ie>
To: david(dot)gullever(at)web(dot)de
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Connecting to postgresql with pdadmin III
Date: 2012-01-19 14:40:01
Lists: pgadmin-support

On 19/01/2012 12:57, David M. Gullever wrote:
> This explains the Host field but not the Name field. Perhaps those
> that wrote this help document thought that this was obvious but IS
> IT ??? Up till now I thought I was trying to connect to a Database on
> my local machine but perhaps pgadmin III requires me to connect to
> the server first (WOULD THAT

Just to clarify a small point here - there's no such thing as connecting
to a PostgreSQL database without first connecting to a server. Clients
don't have any access to the data on disk; the server always does the
serving. :-)

> BE POSTMASTER ON LOCALHOST ???) and then the database. In any case
> the help-documentation does not deal with these problems so guys
> like me have to ask in forums.
>
> I have changed my pg_hba.conf to look like this (# IPv4 local
> connections: now switched to trust did not solve the password
> problem)
>
> # Database administrative login by UNIX sockets local all postgres
> ident sameuser
>
> # TYPE DATABASE USER CIDR-ADDRESS METHOD #
> "local" is for Unix domain socket connections only local all all
> ident sameuser
>
> # IPv4 local connections: host all all 127.0.0.1/32 trust
>
> # IPv6 local connections: host all all ::1/128
> md5.
>
> So my pgadmin questions at this stage are... 1. Do I have to Add a
> server before adding a database (and what would be the name of the
> Server)

Yes, you do. The "name" field is up to you - it's just a label in
PgAdmin used to identify the server in the list.

> 2. Is a password for user postgres mandatory (will pgadmin III fail
> if no password ???)

This depends on (i) how authentication is set up in Postgres, and (ii)
how you are connecting. According to the above pg_hba.conf, if you
connect via a Unix socket ("local" rules), Postgres will use ident for
authentication; whereas if you connect over TCP/IP ("host" rules) it
will just let you straight in without any authentication ("trust").
Remember too that the order of rules in pg_hba.conf is important - the
first matching rule will take effect.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland