Re: indexes no longer used after shutdown during reindexing

From: Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: indexes no longer used after shutdown during reindexing
Date: 2012-01-13 21:49:37
Lists: pgsql-general

On 13.1.2012 22:20, Tom Lane wrote:
> Matt Dew <mattd(at)consistentstate(dot)com> writes:
>> An interesting sidenote we realized. the nice system shutdown script
>> /etc/init.d/postgres doesn't actually wait for the db to be down, it
>> just waits for pg_ctl to return.
>
> By default, "pg_ctl stop" does wait for the server to shut down ...

Not really. It waits for up to 60 seconds and if the shutdown was not
successful (as there was a connected client), it prints a message to the log

pg_ctl: server does not shut down
HINT: The "-m fast" option immediately disconnects sessions
rather than

and returns 1.

If you really need to wait for shutdown, you need to add "-w" to the
command line, use "-m fast" or "-m immediate".

But even ignoring the return value should not cause corruption IMHO.

Tomas