Re: auto vacuum, not working?

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Mario Weilguni" <roadrunner6(at)gmx(dot)at>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: auto vacuum, not working?
Date: 2012-01-13 14:50:21
Lists: pgsql-performance

Mario Weilguni <roadrunner6(at)gmx(dot)at> wrote:

>> yesterday I delete about 200 million rows of a table

>> How can I release the space used by deleted rows?
>> Without block the table.

> vacuum does not reclaim space, just marks tuples dead. You need
> vacuum full.

VACUUM FULL will lock the table, blocking all other access, and it
can run for quite a while. If you expect to be adding 200 million
new rows to the table in the foreseeable future, a regular VACUUM
(or autovacuum) will make that space available for reuse by that
table. The space won't show in the file system; it will still be
allocated to the database but available for new rows.

-Kevin