Re: checkpoint writeback via sync_file_range

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: checkpoint writeback via sync_file_range
Date: 2012-01-11 14:20:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 1/11/12 7:46 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
> I played around with this before and my problem was that sync_file_range is not
> really a hint. It actually starts writeback *directly* and only returns when
> the io is placed inside the queue (at least thats the way it was back then).
> Which very quickly leads to it blocking all the time...

Right, you're answering one of Robert's questions here: yes, once
something is pushed toward writeback, it moves toward an actual write
extremely fast. And the writeback queue can fill itself. But we don't
really care if this blocks. There's a checkpointer process, it will be
doing this work, and it has no other responsibilities anymore (as of
9.2, which is why some of these approaches suddenly become practical).
It's going to get blocked waiting for things sometimes, the way it
already does rarely when it writes, and often when it call fsync.