Re: random_page_cost vs seq_page_cost

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Benedikt Grundmann <bgrundmann(at)janestreet(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: random_page_cost vs seq_page_cost
Date: 2012-01-10 20:22:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 1/5/12 5:04 AM, Benedikt Grundmann wrote:
> I have a question of how to benchmark hardware to determine
> the appropriate ratio of seq_page_cost vs random_page_cost.
>
> Emails in this mailing lists archive seem to indicate that
> 1.0 vs 3.0 - 4.0 are appropriate values on modern hardware.
>
> Which surprised me a bit as I had thought that on actual
> harddrives (ignoring SSDs) random_page_cost is higher.
> I guess that the number tries to reflect caching of the
> relevant pages in memory and modern hardware you have
> more of that?

That sort of thing is one reason why all attempts so far to set
random_page_cost based on physical characteristics haven't gone anywhere
useful. The setting is sort of overloaded right now, it's a fuzzy mix
of true random seek cost blended with some notion of cache percentage.
Trying to bring some measurements to bear on it is a less effective
approach than what people actually do here. Monitor the profile of
query execution, change the value, see what happens. Use that as
feedback for what direction to keep going; repeat until you're just
spinning with no improvements.

It's easy to measure the actual read times and set the value based on
that instead. But that doesn't actually work out so well. There's at
least three problems in that area:

-Timing information is sometimes very expensive to collect. This I
expect to at least document and quantify why usefully as a 9.2 feature.

-Basing query execution decisions on what is already in the cache leads
to all sorts of nasty feedback situations where you optimize for the
short term, for example using an index already in cache, while never
reading in what would be a superior long term choice because it seems
too expensive.

-Making a major adjustment to the query planning model like this would
require a large performance regression testing framework to evaluate the
results in.

> We are not sure if the database used to choose differently
> before the move to the new hardware and the hardware is
> performing worse for random seeks. Or if the planner is
> now making different choices.

I don't recommend ever deploying new hardware without first doing some
low-level benchmarks to validate its performance. Once stuff goes into
production, you can't do that anymore. See
http://www.2ndquadrant.com/en/talks/ for my hardware benchmarking talks
if you'd like some ideas on what to collect.