Role Authority when running pgadmin3

From: "Jerrold \"Eric\" Thompson" <jet(at)whidbey(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Role Authority when running pgadmin3
Date: 2012-01-08 20:37:13
Lists: pgadmin-support

I am new to pgadmin3 and PostgreSQL.

I have set the system user 'jet' to be a superuser.

I have a database user 'videoworks', and a database videoworks.

When I start pgadmin3 from bash and logged in as 'jet', most of
the configuration tools are available to me on the videoworks
database, except Tools => Server Configuration.

At this point:
Createdb
Inherits
...are set to yes

Superuser
Create Roles
Update catalogs

are set to no

...........for user videoworks

User 'jet' is set to yes for everything.

If I set the database user 'videoworks' as a superuser,
then restart the server, and restart pgadmin3 I am able to
use Tool => System Configuration

My question is: I thought it was a bad Idea to grant Superuser status to all
roles, but without doing so how am I able to use the

TOOL => System Configuration

when I start pgadmin3 and I am logged in to the shell as 'jet'?

Here is my pg_hba.conf at this point:

# TYPE DATABASE USER CIDR-ADDRESS METHOD
local all postgres ident
local all jet ident
local all all md5
# IPv4 local connections: