Re: system is swapping (not actively), why?

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "MirrorX" <mirrorx(at)gmail(dot)com>,<pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: system is swapping (not actively), why?
Date: 2012-01-03 17:38:34
Lists: pgsql-admin

MirrorX <mirrorx(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> i think it is measured in GB

> Swap: 33554424 2105664 31448760

> Swap: 33554424k total

That sure seems to be the case.

I don't think it change my overall advice -- if you see zero swaps
in or out under load, I wouldn't worry about it. We tried
configuring our servers to prevent such things, and under careful
benchmarking the effort slightly reduced performance. Probably
because we were using RAM to hold stuff we didn't need instead of
allowing it to be used for OS caching.

I know some people are fanatic about keeping that swap number at
zero, but in our case it turns out to be best to let the OS do its
thing.

-Kevin