Re: PostgreSQL 9.1 pg_dump setval() sets wrong value

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Donald <gdonald(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 9.1 pg_dump setval() sets wrong value
Date: 2011-12-29 17:54:12
Lists: pgsql-general

On 12/29/2011 09:19 AM, Merlin Moncure wrote:

>> I'll pass, thanks for all your "help" guys. It's been a blast.
>
> I did not suggest that. I suggested they *might* be happening. In
> lieu of a reproducible test case (a couple of us took a stab at
> creating one ourselves and could not come up with your issue) or some
> other smoking gun it is something that has to ruled out.
> Statistically speaking, operator error is by far the most common cause
> of bug reports and as engineers we tend to rule out the most likely
> culprits first. It's nothing personal.
>
> By the way, I've been diagnosing and fixing other people's problems on
> this list for years and have a pretty good feel for what's a real
> problem or not. Your is one of those that can go either way and I was
> willing to take time out of my day, gratis, to help you fix it on your
> end and/or suggest a fix to the database itself. Since you are
> obviously unaware of the value of that help, not to mention Tom's
> incredibly precious time, it is your curse to have to reset your
> sequences for ever and ever. Happy Holidays.

To add. It is the difference between working the solution and working
the problem. The problem was you where seeing unexpected behavior. That
is given. The solution at this point is a work in progress and without
exploring all avenues will remain so. The bigger picture is that
potentially this is something that could affect more than you and if
that is the case, or not, it would nice to nip it in the bud sooner
rather than later.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com