LC_COLLATE UTF-8 Locales on Windows?

From: William Rose <wrose(at)terraframe(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: LC_COLLATE UTF-8 Locales on Windows?
Date: 2011-12-27 21:53:16
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello,

I'm developing an offline web app targeted for the Windows platform,
using Postgres. Recently our client has added the requirement of Arabic
support for use in Saudi Arabia. We're trying to keep everything on
UTF-8, but when it comes to collation, the only Arabic-specific locale
is for WIN1256 rather than UTF-8. Is there a way to get Arabic sorting
in UTF-8 on Windows?

We can't go to an Arabic-only encoding on our database because we need
to be able to support any and all languages within the same database, or
even in the same table (e.g. each row has columns for English
translation, French, Arabic, etc).

William Rose
TerraFrame