Re: 16-bit page checksums for 9.2

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com, stark(at)mit(dot)edu, aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 16-bit page checksums for 9.2
Date: 2011-12-27 20:05:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 25.12.2011 15:01, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> I don't believe that. Double-writing is a technique to avoid torn
> pages, but it requires a checksum to work. This chicken-and-egg
> problem requires the checksum to be implemented first.

I don't think double-writes require checksums on the data pages
themselves, just on the copies in the double-write buffers. In the
double-write buffer, you'll need some extra information per-page anyway,
like a relfilenode and block number that indicates which page it is in
the buffer.

--
Heikki Linnakangas