Re: patch: bytea_agg

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: patch: bytea_agg
Date: 2011-12-23 19:35:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
>> Robert Haas wrote:

>>> Well, because it doesn't operate on strings.
>>
>> Sure, binary strings. Both the SQL standard and the PostgreSQL
>> documentation use that term.
>
> I'm unimpressed by that argument, but let's see what other people
> think.

I, for one, try to be consistent about saying "character strings"
when that is what I mean. Since at least the SQL-92 standard there
have been both "character strings" and "bit strings", with a certain
amount of symmetry in how they are handled. I don't remember when
binary strings were introduced, but that is the standard
terminology. There is, for example, a standard substring function
for binary strings.

-Kevin