Re: Page Checksums + Double Writes

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "David Fetter" <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: "Pg Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Page Checksums + Double Writes
Date: 2011-12-21 22:19:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:

> If you get away with a new page format, let's make sure and
> coordinate so that we can add more info into the header. One
> thing I wanted was to have an ID struct on each file, so that you
> know what DB/relation/segment the file corresponds to. So the
> first page's special space would be a bit larger than the others.

Couldn't that also be done by burning a bit in the page header
flags, without a page layout version bump? If that were done, you
wouldn't have the additional information on tables converted by
pg_upgrade, but you would get them on new tables, including those
created by pg_dump/psql conversions. Adding them could even be made
conditional, although I don't know whether that's a good idea....

-Kevin