Column not wide enough for data

From: Guy Rouillier <guyr(at)burntmail(dot)com>
To: PgAdmin Support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Column not wide enough for data
Date: 2011-12-21 03:29:49
Lists: pgadmin-support

I wanted to copy a table to another table, so I started by getting a
count of the rows in the source table. The result of "select count(*)
from xxxx" came out like this:

count
bigint
------
26569

Based on that, I concluded that a straightforward "insert into yyyy
select * from xxxx" would suffice and be done in no time. So I started
running that and then went on to something else.

About an hour and a half later, I realized that query was still running.
I thought that can't be right, so I cancelled the operation and
reissued the count. This time, I expanded the column and discovered the
actual count was

count
bigint
------
26569440

Since this count query produced a single column result, there is plenty
of room to expand the column on initial display. Is there a way to tell
PgAdmin to expand the column to fit the data? I could not find such an
option.

Thanks for such a great tool, I appreciate the years of effort that some
people have put into it.

--
Guy Rouillier