Re: Configuration include directory

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Configuration include directory
Date: 2011-12-13 21:55:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/13/2011 01:28 PM, Noah Misch wrote:
>> !<para>
>> ! Another possibility for this same sort of organization is to create a
>> ! configuration file directory and put this information into files there.
>> ! Other programs such as<productname>Apache</productname> use a
>> !<filename>conf.d</> directory for this purpose. And using numbered names
>>
> This specific use of conf.d is a distribution-driven pattern; the upstream
> Apache HTTP Server distribution never suggests it directly...
>
> Overall, I'd probably just remove these comparisons to other projects.

I hadn't realized that distinction; will have to look into that some
more. Thanks again for the thorough review scrubbings, I can see I have
another night of getting cozy with mmgr/README ahead. I've gotten more
than a fair share of feedback time for this CF, I'm going to close this
patch for now, keep working on it for a bit more, and re-submit later.

My hope with this new section is that readers will realize the
flexibility and options possible with the include and include_dir
commands, and inspire PostgreSQL users to adopt familiar conventions
from other programs if they'd like to. I've made no secret of the fact
that I don't like the way most people are led toward inefficiently
managing their postgresql.conf files, that I feel the default
configurations both encourages bad practices and makes configuration
tool authoring a mess. I would really like to suggest some possible
alternatives here and get people to consider them, see if any gain
adoption. I thought that mentioning the examples are inspired by common
setups of other programs, ones that people are likely to be familiar
with, enhanced that message. That's not unprecedented;
doc/src/sgml/client-auth.sgml draws a similar comparison with Apache in
regards to how parts of the pg_hba.conf are configured. No argument
here that I need to clean that section up still if I'm going to make
this argument though. I didn't expect to throw out 85 new lines of docs
and get them perfect the first time.