Re: PostgreSQL survey

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL survey
Date: 2011-12-12 18:48:31
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Cesar,

> 1. Anyone using PostgreSQL for enterprise mission critical system ?

Many people including:
Caixa Bank
The Chicago Futures Exchange
Afilias
The Federal Aviation Administration
The French Social Security office

> 2. How big are the servers you are running PostgreSQL, Is there anyone
> using more than 32 cores or 256GB memory ?

Current PostgreSQL will run on this size machine, but in general will
fail to take advantage of the large number of cores and large amounts of
memory; that is, performance at 64 cores and 512GB of memory will
generally not be substantially better than at half that. This is one of
the primary focuses of PostgreSQL 9.2 development, and probably 9.3
development as well.

PostgreSQL scales quite well up to 32 cores on most workloads, however.

> 3. What OS you are using to run this mission critical system on PostgreSQL
> ? Linux, Unix ?

Most of our users run on Linux. However, I know of mission-critical
systems running on Solaris, AIX, and even Windows.

> 4. Who provides PostgreSQL support ? Do you have any support contract with
> a third party company ? If so, how much is the monthly support fee ?

The following companies provide 24/7 support for PostgreSQL, depending
out your part of the world:
- EnterpriseDB
- 2ndQuadrant
- Fujitsu
- Red Hat (with JBoss only, AFAIK)
- Credativ
- S.R.A. Japan
- Command Prompt
- Cybertec.AT

There are probably additional support companies of which I am unaware.

Fees for support are usually annual, and are usually around 10% to 20%
of the cost of an Oracle server support contract.

--Josh Berkus

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.