Re: Hope for a new PostgreSQL era?

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hope for a new PostgreSQL era?
Date: 2011-12-11 06:19:07
Lists: pgsql-general

On 12/10/2011 09:28 PM, Craig Ringer wrote:
> One thing I think would be interesting for this would be to identify
> slow queries (without doing detailed plan timing) and flag them for
> more detailed timing if they're run again within <x> time. I suspect
> this would only be practical with parameterised prepared statements
> where the query string remained the same, but that'd still be interesting

There are actually two patches sitting in the current PostgreSQL
CommitFest that allow normalizing query strings in a way that they could
be handled like this even if not prepared, as part of
pg_stat_statements. What you're asking for is basically a hybrid of
that and auto_explain, with something smarter deciding when the explain
is triggered. Interesting idea, I hadn't thought of that heuristic
before. It won't be hard to do if the query normalization stuff commits.

> Personally I'd choose good performance monitoring over user/query
> priorities any day. With good perf monitoring I can script from the
> outside I have a lot more control, can send alerts, etc etc.

Luckily for you it's hard to do it in any other order. When I think
about how we'd have to validate whether query prioritization code was
operating as expected or not, I imagine some extra monitoring tools
really need to get built first. Might as well expose those for people
like yourself too, once they're built for that purpose.