Re: %TYPE and array declaration patch review

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Wojciech Muła <wojciech_mula(at)poczta(dot)onet(dot)pl>
Subject: Re: %TYPE and array declaration patch review
Date: 2011-12-10 15:22:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 11/30/2011 10:42 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> Regress tests are really large - it is question if about 900 lines is
> necessary - should be more compact

Can't recall the last time I heard a complaint about having too many
regression tests for new code. We've got some bit rot, code convention
suggestions, test scope concerns, and some fundamental design questions
hanging over this one. I don't think anyone expected this TODO item was
going to turn into a 2626 line patch, but discovering a bunch of
unexpected complexity underneath one of those is a regular event. Stuff
that's straighforward to implement tends to just get done instead of
added there.

Tom's concerns about the grammar rewrite and way parsing is handled here
seem the worst blockers for committing this, and I can't imagine how
those could be resolved before this CommitFest is over. I'm going to
mark this one as returned with that and Pavel's feedback. Perhaps
Wojciech or someone else will come up with a clever way to address this,
one that has less impact on existing code. Adding more parser
complexity than absolutely necessary is a much bigger problem than the
regression tests being too long.