What is faster?

From: Ioannis Anagnostopoulos <ioannis(at)anatec(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: What is faster?
Date: 2011-12-08 12:57:05
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello all,

This time I am moving to something more advanced than assuming bugs that
they don't exist. I am creating a stored procedure that accepts 2 inputs
and should return many record (by record(s) I mean "set of...."). I have
notice however that there are many ways to achieve this and given my
22million rows I need the faster solution. So what my SP should return?
1. A refcursor?
2. A setof Records with record fields declared as OUT in the parameters?
3. A setof records with the record type explicitly declared in my schema?

Not sure If I have exhausted all the option. Your advice will be much
appreciated. The basic select is happening in a single table.

Kind Regards
Yiannis