Re: BUG #6308: Problem w. encoding in client

From: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>
To: Thomas Goerner <tg(at)clickware(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6308: Problem w. encoding in client
Date: 2011-11-27 08:59:34
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 11/25/2011 08:21 PM, Thomas Goerner wrote:

> Bug reference: 6308
> Logged by: Thomas Goerner
> Email address: tg(at)clickware(dot)de
> PostgreSQL version: 9.1.1
> Operating system: Windows 7 64-bit
> Details:
>
> Hi, we have a problem regarding encoding with postgres 9.1.1 and Win7
> 64-bit
>
> Database encoding: UTF-8
> active codepage in Windows console: 1252
> PGCLIENTENCODING: Win1252
> Console font: Lucida console
>
> In the above configuration, the following problems occur:
>
> 1)
> Text output from the client applications, e.g. the welcome-prompt of psql or
> the help page from pg_dump --help is not displayed correctly (especially
> german Umlauts and characters like "«" ).

That shouldn't be happening. As a workaround, try using a unicode
console (see the "chcp" command) and a unicode client encoding.

The issue with mismatched chars sounds like a real bug that wants
looking into.

> When we restore a dump in custom format and then try to re-dump the
> database, we get error messages like Zeichen 0xe28093 in Kodierung »UTF8«
> hat keine Entsprechung in »Win1252« (character 0xe28093 in UTF-8 cannot be
> translated to Win1252)

Restore using PgAdmin III or using a unicode console. This is a
limitation of using a Win1252 client encoding when restoring data that
isn't restricted to Win1252 and cannot be fixed directly.

If you don't mind possibly corrupted error and NOTICE messages you can
just set a unicode client_encoding for your restore.

--
Craig Ringer