talks on Fosdem

From: Susanne Ebrecht <susanne(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: pgeu-general <pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: talks on Fosdem
Date: 2011-11-24 07:22:11
Lists: pgeu-general

Hello,

of course I saw all the cfp announcement.

Honestly, I would like to see a panel discussion between Dave / Magnus
(a person
from PG Core) and either Monty or a NoSQL representative.

Fosdem 2007 - the first European event on which France and Germany
worked together.
Here the idea of PG-EU was born.

Mainly for sharing donations that we could need inner Europe.
Transferring money from / to US was a pain at that time.

Fosdem 2008 - we made it legal. The contract was signed and we elected a
board.

PG-EU organised 4 conferences (Prato, Paris, Stuttgart, Amsterdam).

Additionally, we have an own dev room on Fosdem since 2009.

Originally, we wanted to use Fosdem also to do a members meeting.

I would like to see the financial statement on upcoming Fosdem.

How much money did we collect? How much did we spend?
For what did we spend money? Who is our biggest sponsor?
How much money / donations do we really need in Europe?

Also I would like that we think about PG EU.
A kind of 5-years revenue. With un-nice questions like:
Was it a success? Was it a good idea? Did we reach what we wanted?
Are the original thoughts still covered? Do we still need PG EU?
What are the future plans?

Looking back to Fosdem 2011:
We got a dev room on Saturday.

In all past years - Fosdem always started on Saturday around noon.
I once got told that the reason for it is - that the Belgian Saturday
mornings
are usual work and school days. Means - universities have usual services
during
the morning.

Also 2011 - Fosdem started around noon.
That means we only could place very few talks.

Spending an hour for the financial statement was skipped.

How is it 2012?
Is a members meeting planned?

When we just have a few hours again - shouldn't we think about sticking
together and talk about special topics together? Ad hoc speaking instead
of huge prepared slides. Having a group of speakers concentrating on the
real questions the people have instead of just single speakers who talk
about
a special topic and not enough time for questions.

Just my thoughts,

Susanne

--
Susanne Ebrecht - 2ndQuadrant