Preserving ORDER of TEMP Tables during transaction

From: Ludo Smissaert <ludo(at)ludikidee(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Preserving ORDER of TEMP Tables during transaction
Date: 2011-11-13 16:13:45
Lists: pgsql-general

Greetings,

Within a PL/PgSQL function I do a

CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE v_temp ON COMMIT DROP
AS
SELECT ctime FROM source ORDER BY ctime
WITH DATA;

Then I use the v_temp in the same transaction block:

FOR v_ctime IN
SELECT ctime FROM v_temp
LOOP
END LOOP;

Now I am curious, will the loop return values for ctime in the *same order*
as the query that created the temporary table, or is this undefined?

With other words: can I rely on the ORDER BY of the query that defined
the temporary table? Is there a way to do that?

Regards,
Ludo Smissaert