Re: Allow substitute allocators for PGresult.

From: Matteo Beccati <php(at)beccati(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Allow substitute allocators for PGresult.
Date: 2011-11-12 20:38:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/11/2011 07:36, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 12:48 AM, Tom Lane<tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> AIUI Kyotaro-san is just suggesting that the app should be able to
>> provide a substitute malloc function for use in allocating PGresult
>> space (and not, I think, anything else that libpq allocates internally).
>> Basically this would allow PGresults to be cleaned up with methods other
>> than calling PQclear on each one. It wouldn't affect how you'd interact
>> with one while you had it. That seems like pretty much exactly what we
>> want for preventing memory leaks in the backend; but is it going to be
>> useful for other apps?
>
> I think it will.

Maybe I've just talking nonsense, I just have little experience hacking
the pgsql and pdo-pgsql exstensions, but to me it would seem something
that could easily avoid an extra duplication of the data returned by
pqgetvalue. To me it seems a pretty nice win.

Cheers
--
Matteo Beccati

Development & Consulting - http://www.beccati.com/