Re: Deadlock like scenario

From: Robins Tharakan <robins(dot)tharakan(at)comodo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Shridhar Polas <shridharpolas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Deadlock like scenario
Date: 2011-11-11 04:30:15
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Shridhar,

Probably you should read a bit about how PostgreSQL locks and what
operation requires which locks. More importantly what happens when these
locks are not available.

ISTM, your trigger operation tries a bulk operation
(INSERT/DELETE/UPDATE) on table B but the nightly reindex acquires a
lock because of which your bulk operations get stuck. Have you tried
reindexing CONCURRENTLY ? It doesn't solve all problems as Greg rightly
points out but could help in this situation.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/explicit-locking.html#TABLE-LOCK-COMPATIBILITY

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/sql-reindex.html

--
Robins Tharakan