Re: Re: [patch] Include detailed information about a row failing a CHECK constraint into the error message

From: Jan Kundrát <jkt(at)flaska(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [patch] Include detailed information about a row failing a CHECK constraint into the error message
Date: 2011-11-10 15:56:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 11/10/11 16:05, Tom Lane wrote:
> I agree with Jan that this is probably useful; I'm pretty sure there
> have been requests for it before. We just have to make sure that the
> length of the message stays in bounds.
>
> One tip for keeping the length down: there is no value in repeating
> information from the primary error message, such as the name of the
> constraint.

Thanks to your comments and suggestions, I appreciate the time of the
reviewers.

Attached is a second version of this patch which keeps the size of the
output at 64 characters per column (which is an arbitrary value defined
as a const int, which I hope matches your style). Longer values have
their last three characters replaced by "...", so there's no way to
distinguish them from a legitimate string that ends with just that.
There's also no escaping of special-string values, similar to how the
BuildIndexValueDescription operates.

Cheers,
Jan

--
Trojita, a fast e-mail client -- http://trojita.flaska.net/

Attachment Content-Type Size
context_in_check_constraints-v2.patch text/plain 1.4 KB