Re: Range Types - typo + NULL string constructor

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Range Types - typo + NULL string constructor
Date: 2011-11-03 08:37:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 17.10.2011 01:09, Jeff Davis wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-10-15 at 01:46 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> * Do we really need non_empty(anyrange) ? You can just do "NOT empty(x)"
>
> To make it a searchable (via GiST) condition, I need an operator. I
> could either remove that operator (as it's not amazingly useful), or I
> could just not document the function but leave the operator there.

Looking at the most recent patch, I don't actually see any GiST support
for the empty and non-empty operators (!? and ?). I don't see how those
could be accelerated with GiST, anyway; I think if you want to use an
index for those operators, you might as well create a partial or
functional index on empty(x).

So I'm actually inclined to remove not only the nonempty function, but
also the ? and !? operators. They don't seem very useful, and ? and !?
don't feel very intuitive to me, anyway. I'll just leave the empty(x)
function.

--
Heikki Linnakangas