Re: very slow when writing query to file

From: boris pezzatti <boris(dot)pezzatti(at)wsl(dot)ch>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: Fernando Hevia <fhevia(at)gmail(dot)com>, Francisco Leovey <fleovey(at)yahoo(dot)com>, "pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: very slow when writing query to file
Date: 2011-11-02 07:58:22
Lists: pgadmin-support

Thank you Fernando for reproducing this.
I suspect there must be some part of code in the

* for each row
* for each column

loops that result inefficient only on some machines or OS's (I'm using
Archlinux).
In fact the extra time I and Fernando get can not only be attributed to
adding commas, " and line feeds. The same file which I retrived in more
than one hour (32Mb), could be saved with openoffice in 10 seconds,
changing column separators, text delimiters and encoding.

Could it be possible that the use of e.g. error catching in the loops
results in poor performance on some systems? (I'm not a c++ programmer ...)

--
*Boris Pezzatti
Swiss Federal Research Institute WSL