Re: PostgreSQL 9.0.4 blocking in lseek?

From: Sören Meyer-Eppler <soerenme(at)google(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 9.0.4 blocking in lseek?
Date: 2011-10-31 14:09:37
Lists: pgsql-performance

> embedded in often-executed plpgsql functions, for instance. Can you
> identify which table the lseeks are issued against?

I wouldn't know how? I'm just using htop and "s" on the postgres process
to find these...

> (Now, having said that, I don't see how that type of theory explains no
> CPU load.

My bad sorry. I was relaying information from the guy administering the
server. It turns out that "no CPU load" really meant: only one of the
cores is being utilized. On a 16 core machine that looks like "no load"
but of course for the individual query still means 100%.

> But you're really going to need to provide more info before
> anyone can explain it, and finding out what the lseeks are on would be
> one good step.)

I have attached two of the offending execution plans. Anything obviously
wrong with them?

thank you for looking into it!

Sören

Attachment Content-Type Size