Connection Pooling

From: Brandon Phelps <bphelps(at)gls(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Connection Pooling
Date: 2011-10-06 19:57:00
Lists: pgsql-general

Can anyone recommend a good solution for connection pooling? Here is our setup:

2 PostgreSQL 9.1 servers (1 master, 1 hot standby).
1 Apache 2.2.17

We have a pretty extensive web application running on the apache server that talks to both of the database servers. Updates and small tasks (simple selects, etc) are directed to the master DB server while large reports that can take a while to run are directed to the hot standby, as not to affect performance of the master.

Each page of the web app generally make a single connection to the database with the exception being the complicated reports which first make a connection to the master, verify that the user is allowed to access the page in question, close that connection, then open another connection to the hot standby for the report itself.

One connection per page is not all that bad however the end users who make use of the web app are quite familiar with it and often fly through the pages very fast. We would like to implement some type of connection pooling so that these database connections (from web server to the DB servers) do not have to get created and torn down constantly.

I have checked out the pg_pool website however was not very impressed with the documentation provided. Is pg_pool going to be our best solution or is there something better? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brandon