Re: WIP: Collecting statistics on CSV file data

From: Shigeru Hanada <shigeru(dot)hanada(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WIP: Collecting statistics on CSV file data
Date: 2011-09-20 09:49:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Fujita-san,

(2011/09/12 19:40), Etsuro Fujita wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> To enable file_fdw to estimate costs of scanning a CSV file more
> accurately, I would like to propose a new FDW callback routine,
> AnalyzeForeignTable, which allows to ANALYZE command to collect
> statistics on a foreign table, and a corresponding file_fdw function,
> fileAnalyzeForeignTable. Attached is my WIP patch.
<snip>

I think this is a very nice feature so that planner would be able to
create smarter plan for a query which uses foreign tables.

I took a look at the patch, and found that it couldn't be applied
cleanly against HEAD. Please rebase your patch against current HEAD of
master branch, rather than 9.1beta1.

The wiki pages below would be helpful for you.
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Submitting_a_Patch
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Creating_Clean_Patches
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Reviewing_a_Patch

And it would be easy to use git to follow changes made by other
developers in master branch.
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Working_with_Git

Regards,
--