Re: Crash on delete record with filter in place

From: Colin Beckingham <colbec(at)start(dot)ca>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Crash on delete record with filter in place
Date: 2011-09-19 20:53:07
Lists: pgadmin-support

On 09/19/2011 03:12 PM, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-09-17 at 17:45 -0400, Colin Beckingham wrote:
>> Using pgadmin 1.15 Dev on Opensuse 11.4, kernel 3.0.
>>
>> Viewing the data in a table with full data set visible, select a record
>> for delete, run delete, record is deleted correctly, pgadmin continues
>> to run.
>>
>> View the data in a table and place a filter to show subset of records.
>> Attempt to delete a row. This is permitted by the menus. Row is deleted
>> correctly, however pgadmin immediately crashes both the main and the
>> view data windows. Data is intact, restarting pgadmin allows to continue
>> as before.
>
> I don't manage to get a reproducible test case. I mean, I do get some
> crashes, but they are mostly random. Something that would crash pgAdmin
> once won't work twice. Which doesn't help fixing it.

Well, so far 1.15 has been working well for me. This incident (which I
managed to repeat several times) was the only time it has let me down.

I tried setting up a simple table to repeat the issue I reported but I
admit I failed to repeat it. On my small test table with oids in place I
was able to delete records with no filter in place or with a filter. It
worked fine.

I am reluctant to attempt a repeat the crash with my other table which
is important right now - I will try to recreate the crash on a copy
later. This other table is much larger and more complex.

In my investigation I did seem to find that tables with oids in place
allowed me to delete a record via the toolbar icon, but the right click
contextual submenu items remained greyed out. Table without oids on
select a record or set of records does not activate the delete records
icon on the toolbar or in the contextual submenu.

An exception to the observation on context submenu in the last para. If
the data is entered through the insert script, and then you open the
view data - view all rows, the context menu does not work. However if
you enter data _into_ the view data table this then activates the
context menu and you can delete.

More later.
--
---