Re: CUDA Sorting

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CUDA Sorting
Date: 2011-09-19 14:36:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 09/19/2011 10:12 AM, Greg Stark wrote:
> With the GPU I'm curious to see how well
> it handles multiple processes contending for resources, it might be a
> flashy feature that gets lots of attention but might not really be
> very useful in practice. But it would be very interesting to see.

The main problem here is that the sort of hardware commonly used for
production database servers doesn't have any serious enough GPU to
support CUDA/OpenCL available. The very clear trend now is that all
systems other than gaming ones ship with motherboard graphics chipsets
more than powerful enough for any task but that. I just checked the 5
most popular configurations of server I see my customers deploy
PostgreSQL onto (a mix of Dell and HP units), and you don't get a
serious GPU from any of them.

Intel's next generation Ivy Bridge chipset, expected for the spring of
2012, is going to add support for OpenCL to the built-in motherboard
GPU. We may eventually see that trickle into the server hardware side
of things too.

I've never seen a PostgreSQL server capable of running CUDA, and I don't
expect that to change.