Re: PostgreSQL-related topics of theses and seminary works sought (Was: Hash index use presently(?) discouraged...)

From: Vitalii Tymchyshyn <tivv00(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stefan Keller <sfkeller(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL-related topics of theses and seminary works sought (Was: Hash index use presently(?) discouraged...)
Date: 2011-09-19 09:37:29
Lists: pgsql-performance

17.09.11 23:01, Stefan Keller написав(ла):
> * more... ?
What I miss from my DB2 UDB days are buffer pools. In PostgreSQL terms
this would be part of shared buffers dedicated to a relation or a set of
relations. When you have a big DB (not fitting in memory) you also
usually want some small tables/indexes be in memory, no matter what
other load DB has.
Complimentary features are:
1) Relations preloading at startup - ensure this relation are in memory.
2) Per buffer pool (or relation) page costs - tell it that this
indexes/tables ARE in memory

Best regards, Vitalii Tymchyshyn.