RE: Copy data to DSA area

From: "Ideriha, Takeshi" <ideriha(dot)takeshi(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Kyotaro HORIGUCHI' <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: "thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com" <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Copy data to DSA area
Date: 2018-12-05 05:42:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi, thank you for the comment.

Sure. We want to get rid of dangling pointer at the error handling but this should be
transparent.

>> >If the solution involves significantly different control flows (like
>> >PG_TRY(),
>> >PG_FINALLY() manual cleanup all over the place), then lots of
>> >existing palloc-based code will need to be reviewed and rewritten
>> >very carefully for use in this new kind of memory context. If it can
>> >be done automagically, then more of our existing code will be able to
>> >participate in the construction of stuff that we want to put in shared memory.
>>
>> About resetting X->a I was thinking about how to treat dangling
>> pointer inside a new memory context machinery instead of using
>> PG_TRY() stuff. That's because putting PG_TRY() all over the place
>> becomes responsible for a developer trying to shared-memory-version
>> MemoryContext and it needs a lot of efforts as you noted. But in my mind even if
>PG_TRY() is used, it only affects new code uses shared-memory version
>MemoryContext and doesn't affect current code.
>> I may be missing something here...
>
>Thomas mentioned exiting upper-layer library code using palloc, like pg_list. As I
>wrote above, pg_list is one of such feature that would need to be carefully adjusted.

Thank you for the clarification. I think I was misunderstanding. In some previous email
I suggested "points_to_pallocd_data(pointer, new_data)" to remember old_value and
do reset a pointer at the time of error handling. Yeah, this interface needs to be implemented
at existing function wrapping palloc and set the pointer.

>> >I first thought about this in the context of shared plan caches, a
>> >topic that appears on this mailing list from time to time. There are
>> >some other fun problems, like cache invalidation for shared caches,
>> >space recycling (LRUs etc), and of course locking/concurrency
>> >(dsa_allocate() and dsa_free() are concurrency safe, but whatever
>> >data structures you build with the memory of course need their own plan for
>dealing with concurrency).
>> >But a strategy for clean-up on errors seems to be a major subproblem
>> >to deal with early in the project. I will be very happy if we can
>> >come up with something :-)
>>
>> Yeah, I hope we can do it somehow.
>
>In addition to recycling issue within a fixed area, I suppose that we will need to
>"expand" the fixed-address shared memory. PROT_NONE could work for that but it
>must break some platforms..
If we are only talking about DSA created in the place of Postgres-initailized shared area,
I think we can prevent memory from expanding using dsa_set_limit_size().

>> Thank you for kind remark.
>> By the way I just thought meta variable "hoge" is used only in Japan
>> :)
>
>I've seen it many-many times including mine in this list, thus why don't you know it is
>already a world-wide jargon? :p

Ah I didn't know that, thanks!

Regards,
Takeshi Ideriha