Unable to start postgres service (8.4)

From: SamuelStar <simple_hot_ice(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Unable to start postgres service (8.4)
Date: 2011-09-13 01:40:42
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello,
I only modified the pg_hba.conf file. It is currently set on trust but
the server still asks for a password (even tho when clicking properties
the password field is disabled ) . I treied restarting and now the damn
thing wont start at all (the server that is; i have no postgres
processes now). I also installed postgres 9.0 now and it works . But i
would realy like to regain access to the old server. I have also tried a
solution involving resetxlog -f but to no avail

Regards,
Sam