Re: PGAdmin III cool feature request.

From: Piotr Czekalski <pczekalski(at)techbaza(dot)pl>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PGAdmin III cool feature request.
Date: 2011-09-08 08:59:28
Lists: pgadmin-support

W dniu 2011-09-05 15:09, Guillaume Lelarge pisze:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 2011-09-04 at 14:30 +0200, Piotr Czekalski wrote:
>> [...]
>> There already exists a nice feature that helps to script actions related
>> to the object (i.e. create, insert, delete, update etc.) the one that is
>> located when right-clicking the database tree but the only feature is to
>> open a script in a new window.
>> I think it would be far more useful to have a choice if a script is
>> opened in a new window or copied to the clipboard as i.e. in SQL Server
>> Management Studio (it also supports sending a script to the File or
>> "Agent Job").
>>
> I don't really understand the need to copy to the clipboard? can you
> explain what you are trying to do?

Hi,

Sure I can - details below. That's working efficiency about.

I'm used to create an insert / update / delete script and paste them to
the other window, usually with bigger portion of Pl/Pgsql code or even C#.
It's usually much quicker to paste a ready script and modify it a little
than write INSERT/UPDATE/CREATE etc. from scratch and you won't forget a
column or mistype it.

Right now, every time you ask PgAdmin to create a script it opens a new
Query window.
That is not necessary for programmers creating i.e. data access layer -
simply copying the script to the clipboard to let you paste it to the
code (i.e. Visual Studio or Eclipse) would be far more useful for most
programmers.

Right now the procedure is:
1. create a script,
2. mark script text,
3. copy to clipboard,
4. close window,
then finally paste.

The feature I'm asking causes to simplify it all:
1. create script to clipboard
paste - that's all.

Regards,

Piotr