Re: About pyvertica (a clone of pyscopg2)

From: Federico Di Gregorio <fog(at)initd(dot)org>
To: Angel Freire <cuerty(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: psycopg(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: About pyvertica (a clone of pyscopg2)
Date: 2011-09-07 09:12:13
Lists: psycopg

Hi Angel,

I hope you don't bother I added the psycopg mailing list in cc: other
people can be interested in your work. :)

On 06/09/11 20:22, Angel Freire wrote:
> Hi, my name is Angel and since a few weeks now I've been working with
> some database engine called "Vertica" it's a column-oriented db based
> on PostgreSQL, it's so based on PostgresSQL that with a few little
> modifications pyscopg2 is able to connect to it and perform queries
> without any problems. I've found the patch needed to make pyscopg2 run
> with Vertica in StackOverflow
> (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2469167/merge-excel-cells-using-pyexcelerator).

I can't find a patch there. :(

> Since I plan to do most of the ETL process in Python having a library
> to accessing the data Warehouse is really a basic tool and having a
> native Python client library that is able to connect to Vertica is
> just great.
>
> Before found that about pyscopg2 and that patch I started coding my
> own DB API 2.0 module, but I've found that will be easy to reutilize
> your work, and so is the question in this email:
>
> It's ok if I do that? I really don't know much about licences, my
> intention is to give all the credit to the real authors (I'm trying to
> found who was the one that posted that on stack overflow).

As long as you respect the LGPL3 (because you distribute source code
keeping all copyright notices is more or less all you need to do) it is
perfectly fine to reutilize psycopg2 code in your work.

> For now I've uploaded the patched source code to github, my plan it's
> to modify it to be called "pyvertica" but have explicit messages about
> how it's a copy of the pyscopg2 source code, leaving the authors
> credits were it belongs: https://github.com/cuerty/pyvertica

I'd like very much to see the changes you're doing. If they are few and
localized it would be great to incorporate them directly into psycopg2
source code, to maintain a single code base.

In any case, if you find bugs or improve something that can be ported
back to PostgreSQL please send an email to psycopg(at)postgresql(dot)org so
that we can incorporate your fixes and improvements.

> That beign said, I couldn't clone the repo to have the proper history
> (I think that it'll be good to have that, if you please fix the git
> repot it'll be awesome).

What's wrong with:

git clone -b devel git://luna.dndg.it/public/psycopg2

Hope this helps,
federico

--
Federico Di Gregorio fog(at)initd(dot)org
But not all bugs are an interesting challenge. Some are just a total