Re: PostgreSQL Magazine #01 : Let's get it started ! help wanted !

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Magazine #01 : Let's get it started ! help wanted !
Date: 2011-08-25 21:51:11
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Damien,

> The issue #00 of PostgreSQL Magazine was a demo and it proved that
> there's a public for a regular magazine dedicated to PostgreSQL. The
> stats from the pgmag.org website show that the PDF version is the most
> popular : we got approx. 4000 readers for the demo issue. Meanwhile the
> paper version was warmly welcomed at pgcon and others conferences....

And I'm still planning to distribute it at pgOpen.

> Although I did a lot of work by myself for the issue #00, i want to be
> clear that PostgreSQL Magazine is intended to be a community driven
> project. So if you are interested by this projetct, come on board !

Well, in the course of the US Letter stuff, I had to figure out Scribus,
so I'm now able to help with layout. One request though: can we use
standard TrueType fonts, and not Ubuntu-specific fonts?

> We need Editors, Graphic designers, Reviewers, Translators and of course
> writers. Even if you don't a previous experience in the media, you can
> help the project in many ways !

If we have a budget, I have a good graphic designer who is inexpensive
but not free.

> I've open a dedicated mailing list for the project so that we don't
> flood the psql-advocacy list ;-)

If you want. This list is nonbusy enough that it could host magazine
discussion until people complain.

> According to me, here's a basic idea of what the pgmag #01 would look
> like : The obvious theme for the issue will be PostgreSQL 9.1 ! This
> time i'd like to have 48 pages, with richer content and graphics.

I think it would be better to have less pages of higher quality. It'll
be hard enough to produce another high-quality 24-page magazine. Heck,
I think you should consider 16 if you're planning to publish twice a year.

> * Business model (advertisement ? sponsors ? let readers pay ?)

I think we should have sponsored advertisements.

> * Even the name of magazine may change if someone comes with something
> better ;-)

Gods, please no naming arguments! ;-b

--
Josh Berkus