Re: pg_restore --no-post-data and --post-data-only

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_restore --no-post-data and --post-data-only
Date: 2011-08-25 00:43:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 8/23/11 1:30 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Attached is an undocumented patch that allows pg_restore to omit
> post-data items or omit all but post-data items. This has been discussed
> before, and Simon sent in a patch back on 2008, which has bitrotted
> some. I'm not sure why it was dropped at the time, but I think it's time
> to do this. This patch relies on some infrastructure that was added
> since Simon's patch, so it works a bit differently (and more simply).

If it's not clear from Andrew's description, the purpose of this patch
is to allow dividing your pgdump into 3 portions:

1. schema
2. data
3. constraints/indexes

This allows users to implement a number of custom solutions for ad-hoc
parallel dump, conditional loading, data munging and sampled databases.
While doing so was possible before using the manifest from pg_restore
-l, the manifest approach has been complex to automate and relies on
obscure knowledge.

I have immediate production use for this patch and may be backporting it.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.